I’m Matt Parlmer, a software engineer and political operative.
My technical work
My day-to-day engineering work runs the gamut from research and development on
programming language design to distributed systems engineering. Most of my technical
output pertains to a cluster of services built from the research. I also do a fair
bit of consulting on the side, typically helping out companies by building libraries
for them. Most of the stuff I push to production is in Go, and most of my research
work happens in OCaml at this point. If you’d like to talk about things related to
Ohlogen, or discuss a project drop me a line at
matt at ohlogen dot com.
My political work
I’m a liberal consequentialist who believes that liberal politics should be periodically reconstructed to meet the needs of the political moment. Some years ago I noticed that there weren’t many places on the internet dedicated to discussing this idiosyncratic blend of political positions called “neoliberalism” in its own terms.
The forum I started to help fix this
problem has since become a meeting point for people interested in advancing the
neoliberal cause. Since about 2017 some of the people from that forum and from a
number of adjacent groups have been building more concrete political vehicles to
advance neoliberal politics. If you’d like to talk about that, you can reach me at
matt at mattparlmer dot com.
My other interests
Things that have commanded my attention at one point or another include but are not limited to:
- The many ways that people organize and disorganize information, especially languages with interesting characteristics
- The many ways that people organize and disorganize themselves, especially in extreme or rapidly shifting conditions
- Machines that move a lot of mass over long distances in interesting ways
- Infrastructure of all kinds and in all places, especially things not usually considered to be infrastructure
- Empirical macroeconomics, mechanism design, behavioral microeconomics
- Physiological inputs to political behavior
- Ideologies of all kinds, especially atypical or original ones
- Subcultures, especially obscure ones on the internet
- Sports, the weirder the better
How to contact me
I enjoy chatting with new people over email (see any of the above) or on
@mattparlmer pretty much everywhere.
Please feel free to reach out for whatever reason. I’m occasionally some combination of
scatter-brained, busy, or unplugged, so I don’t respond inside a few days please feel
free to bump the thread a few times until I do. If I’m going to be really unavailable
for a while I’ll usually post about it on Twitter first, so check there.
If you need to talk about something sensitive that requires a higher degree of
security than is possible via the methods listed above, ping me on Keybase or Signal.
I don’t like PGP but if you need it here’s a fingerprint that works: